So what is a private blog network (PBN)?
So a PBN or private blog network is a set of domains, set up as blogs that you own. On each domain you will have articles and anchor text backlinks pointing at your money site.
Now when I say money site,This is the domain that you want to read higher in search engines, for the specific keywords, that you use in these articles, domain names, titles, and anchor text on these PBN domains.
So PBN can consist of free blogs like WordPress.com, blogger.com, But! these free blog domains don’t have as much power as self hosted blogs.
So the best option for your PBN or private blog network is to self host blogs on these older domains. So to do this by expired domains or auction site domains that contain keywords that you’re targeting.
When I mention a PBN or a private blog network. I’m talking about one domain, Remember! more authoritative backlinks to your website the better.
So the same with the PBN, yes it’s great to start one PBN for your money site, but for the most part I usually start 10 – 20 PBN’s to get my money site ranking for a single keyword on the first page of Google search.
I mention expired domain, this is just a domain that was owned one time and had content on it, but for some reason the domain owner decided they were finished with the site and they let the domain expire.
So by purchasing these expired domains. You’re buying a website with more authority than a brand new website.
Why does an expired domain have more authority than a brand new?
First Google Places more value on the age of a domain
Second Google favors on aged and more robust backlink profile. Now back on profile simply consist of all the back links to that expired domain.
Now I want to touch on requirements before I purchase an expired domain.
1.Purchase PBN domain that have, at least 10 natural backlinks to an expired domain before I purchase it. These are also called “linking root domains”. Basically it’s the total number of other sites that link to this expired domain.
2. The domain should look genuine, this is a common sense thing, avoid numbers, avoid letters in a row. I’ve seen people try to sell “122etc.com” or other PBNs try to buy keywords that are outside of their niche, Just because it was a great expired domain. You know what Google still favors those keywords heavily. So why not get an expired domain that has a keyword that is within your nature.
So if I own sunglasses dot com I want an expired domain that includes that keyword sunglasses.
3. Trust flow and citation flow should be 10+, I’ll describe this in detail a little bit later.
4. The domain authority (DA) and Page authority (PA) should be at least 15+ higher the better.
5. check to ensure, it was a non abuse domain. So for example. It wasn’t just a spam site that was full of backlinks or if it was a porn site.
These are things that will never rank well as an expired domain.
So you can check and see what the actual archive screenshots were of that website, with the Wayback Machine at archive.org/web.
So first. Where do we find (CF) Citation flow and (TF) Trust flow ratings? you can check using online tools like majestic.com.
Trust flow is a metric designed to decide how trustworthy the link is. so based on the quality of back links pointing to your site, this is the trust flow.
So for wpbeginner.com the trust flows 62, now for citation flow, this is a metric designed to predict how influential a link in a site may be by considering all the links that are pointed to it. So for wpbeginner.com the citation flow is 56. These follow ratings to be very close to each other and definitely over 10.
So for this example of wpbeginner.com. we’re definitely over 10, for both the TF and CF, Plus 56 and 63 are close.
One note to jot down. If one flow number is double the other number, stay away from it.. this site is full of spam.
So if this CF was 40 and TF was eighty, or TF was forty and CF is eighty, just skip that domain site, because it’s usually going to be way lower because it never would get that trust level.
You can check these flow levels at Majestic.com just enter the website and click enter.
Now lets find that (DA) “Domain authority” and (PA) “Pager Authority” ratings, domain authority measures the predictive ranking strength of the entire domain and or subdomains. while page authority measures the strength of the individual page you are on.
Again! I like a minimum DA and PA for 15. But honestly i prefer 25 plus on expired domains or auction site domains.
So to see these ratings the PA and DA you can install the mozbar for chrome. or go to https://moz.com/researchtools/ose/ and enter the url you want and enter it to check . So wpbeginner.com again, a page rating home page of 83 and a domain authority of 81. This was a great website!
So where can we buy the expired domains?
You can google the keyword expired domains and find a variety of sites,. but I personally only use expireddomains.net.
So let’s say your money site is “shoe.com“ , for my “PBN“ i want domains per furtively with that keyword in it. Sometimes there won’t be any available so you’ll have to find a similar keyword such as slepper.
look at I typed in shoe at expireddomains.net. There’s over 128,124 domains that are expired with that keyword in it. So a few things I look at right away before researching are doing further is the back links. So that’s that first column you can sort by column.
You can see “TodsShoes.us“ has 1.2 millions backlinks. So next I look at the domain age. That’s this year right here. So two thousand and twelve.
Not bad, but I prefer older domains as they have more authority. So we can sort by that column if we want.
Also don’t forget to check the Status of the website and how you could purchase it.
“sedo“ that’s an auction site
“backorder“ basically an auction site with the registrar
“register“ means it’s just expired and it’s ready for purchase on any domain registry site.
If you have extra money and time to spend on auction sites like sedo or backorder.
But for me I focus on domains that ready to “register“ as long as they meet all my test, ratings, and requirements. There just a lot faster to acquire,
So how do you register these domains?
To prevent search engines like Google from deindexing your PBN or private blog network domains, make sure the domains in your Private blog network have different IP addresses.
Why is this?
If domains are all made on the same IP address, there is nearly a 100% chance, that the same person owns these domains. So remember! each of your domains ( 1 domain = 1 PBN ) needs to be hosted on a separate C block IP address, IP addresses have four blocks.
Let’s break it down by A B. C. and D..
IP have 4 blocks and each block have up to 3 numbers block.
You want your PBN domains to have varying numbers for the “CCC” block, because your IP address reveals a footprint of your network.
So think of it, it would be very easy for Google to identify a PBN, If there’s 15 or 20 valuable links to your money site from 20 PBN domains or PBN domains, that all have the same “C block” IP address!
Also while registering domains, make sure to buy each expired domain on a different registrar, example: GoDaddy namecheap, name.com, 1 in 1, Bluehost etc.
while you’re purchasing those domains, make sure to purchase WHOIS Guard/privacy protection for all of them.
If you don’t want to spend that extra money for the WHOIS guard use fake names, and fake emails, or varying emails for each domain registration.
Again this is just one more way to cover your tracks and not let your PBN be discovered.
As far as hosting your expired domains.
These are my two favorite hosting accounts that enable this varied see block IP address.
- hostnine.com = just create a basic reseller account on hostnine.com, and then create subaccounts for each PBN domain! for each domain you can assign it to a different colocation zone ( a variety of different C. block IP addresses).
2. cloudboss.pro = Cloudboss takes advantage of all the cloud hosting options out there, they have dozens of platforms “Amazon” is one of their biggest name on there, the result is a platform that allows you to use unique C block IP addresses for each of your “private blog network” Domains.
So you got your expired domain purchased, You got it hosted, So now what should your CMS (content management system) be?
- 100% of my PBN domains have WordPress as their content management system. so I’ll simply manually install WordPress or one click install it through the host.
- Then make sure to “install a varying theme on each PBN domain“. again to keep all the domain separate.
- Use a “different e-mail address when submitting to search engine indexing“. such as Google search console, I even know some SEO guys that won’t submit to these webmaster tool sites because they’re paranoid that they may get caught via this. So that’s why if you do it, if you want to index quicker on the search engines, use a very email address on each one.
- With the varying theme make sure to varying the logos.
What should I blog about on these PBN?
- Treat it like your own blog, the content needs to be original and not published anywhere else.
- The article should be fitting into the domain name in keywords, if I purchased “TodsShoes.us” the blog articles better be about Shoes, Slepper, socks, etc.
- Create 5 post category names that are relevant keywords, this just helps your SEO.
- Create 500 – 1000 word articles at least 500+ words, and then slow drip them out a publish once a week or one every other week or one a month. Remember! Google not only loves new content but they also favor an active site, not just the sites that dump five or ten articles once and then never come back.
- Use royalty free images and videos in your blog post too and with those images use alttext to helps with SEO, and make sure to use a mix of keywords broad and long tail keywords in your articles, titles, and SEOs meta descriptions.
One thing to remember when you’re writing these, just implement those standard SEO practices, fill out the Yoast SEO fields on each pages/post. Make sure to adjust your permalink to post name.
To complete your PBN or private blog network website follow these steps.
Configure your WordPress settings to display 10+ blog post on the front page.
Add three pages.
- 1st is the “about page“. Come up with that alter ego for your PBN domain. where you located? Who is the owner? and make sure to plant a few keywords within it. This About Us page should be 300-500 words.
- Next “contact page“ for the most part I don’t use phone numbers but if you have some great, You can use some Google map, images of random locations. insert a contact form and just have it simply send to the info at of that domain. Remember that this contact info has to be different for each PBN domain. “fakes are fine” :).
- And speaking of plugins. These are the 5 plugins I always install link privacy.
- =Link Privacy (http://linkprivacy.com)
- 404 redirect to redirect old link juice.
- SEO plugin of you choice like I( prefer Yoast)..
- Install a contact form plugin of your choice.
- caching Plugin or your choice
- And speaking of plugins. These are the 5 plugins I always install link privacy.
Note: there should only be one article on this PBN with a link to your money site.
If your PBN have 5 articles that all pointing to your money site, that doesn’t look natural, you will be deindexed by Google.
Each of your articles should also have 2-3 outbound links to authority of noncompetitive web pages. This is very important, because these links provide context all along with your articles and Google takes note that your money site is linked alongside these other authoritative web pages, like Wikipedia, ABC, New York Times, and so on.